Residential fire-safety checklist
- Make sure a smoke alarm is installed on every level of your home, including the basement.
- When installing smoke alarms, always follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- Test your smoke alarm monthly.
- The combination of working smoke alarms and home fire sprinklers reduces the likelihood of death from fire by more than 80%. So consider installing home fire sprinklers in your home.
- Always use cooking equipment that is tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
- Follow manufacturers’ instructions and code requirements when installing and operating cooking equipment.
- Have your furnace inspected by a heating professional regularly to ensure that it is in good working condition.